Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A clarifying follow up to Super Bowl post/Making of a Champion/Jesus is better than Super Bowl!

Hello all.

I said previously that I would not apologize if I offended anyone.  Well I would like to retract that.  If I have offended anyone by being unclear in my attitude or intentions then I am sorry.

I am writing this for two reasons.
One, I just want to clarify, that I recognize my previous post regarding the Super Bowl was serious and pointed at times because the nature of the concern called for it.  However, I want to be clear that it was not intended as an attack on churches or church leaders, but a strong challenge.  Whether you are a church leader or not, we are all prone to blind spots.  This topic likely is a blind spot for some and not so much for others.  But my attitude was one of protection for all and an attack on the enemy deceiver regarding this issue.  Sometimes when we attack deceptions and the deceiver we don't make it clear that those are our targets.  So I wanted to clarify.

I also wanted to make it clear that this warning applies to all Christians everywhere.  You may not be attending a Super Bowl party hosted at a Christian venue.  If that is the case, you are in even more of a dangerous environment.  Each and every Christian is ultimately responsible for guarding their own hearts.  Please be careful to do so, no matter what environment you are in.

Making of a Champion
My second point is that one of my pastors shared an awesome video on FB that is particularly appropriate for this topic and I wanted to share it as well here.  Thanks Pastor Dennis.  If you will go to www.makingofachampion.org you will find a thirteen minute video of interviews with members of the Seattle Seahawks whom are going to the Super Bowl.  There they give some of their testimony regarding their careers and how they came to be followers of Jesus.  It is awesome.  

Jesus is better than the Superbowl
Another awesome video is found at http://youtu.be/s8U_ewtHZdw.  It is entitled "Jesus is better than the Super Bowl".  In it Pastor Mark Driscoll interviews several Christian team members of the Seattle Seahawks. One of them actually coins the phrase that is the title of the video.  The video is about 3 minutes. 

A God glorifying opprotunity! 
These videos would be terrific alternatives to the halftime show and the commercials during a Super Bowl party. These are both generally unglorifying to God and unedifying to believers.  Not to mention it might just be the first time an unbeliever at your party hears the gospel.  My suggestion would be to show the short piece repeatedly during commercials and then show the longer piece during the halftime show.  How awesome would it be to inundate your guests all through this secular entertainment with a gospel presentation presented by the people playing the game.  Praise God for the opportunity to do that!

So please. Watch it, use it, and may God be glorified through your influence by showing it.

In Jesus name,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment